Man ‘spat at police and said he had coronavirus’
A man accused of spitting at police officers while claiming to have symptoms of coronavirus has been charged with assault.
Paul Leivers was arrested on Thursday in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire.
Mr Leivers, 48, of Tideswell Court, has been charged with two counts of assaulting an emergency worker, and is due to appear before magistrates.
Police said the general response to social distancing in Nottinghamshire had been “phenomenal”.
The government has introduced emergency legislation which means people can be fined for ignoring the measures.
However, police said this would be done only “as a last resort”.
- EASY STEPS: How to keep safe
- A SIMPLE GUIDE: What are the symptoms?
- GETTING READY: How prepared is the UK?
- MAPS AND CHARTS: Visual guide to the outbreak
- TRAVEL PLANS: What are your rights?
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT: What’s the risk?